Journal of Pure and Applied MicrobiologyVol. 9 No. 2

Outbreak of Neonatal Septicemia by Klebsiella Species in NICU

Hemavathi, Pooja Sarmah*, Poornima Shenoy and Sharvani

Department of Microbiology, Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore- 90, India.

Received on 28 January 2015 and accepted on 03 March 2015

 

ABSTRACT

Klebsiella species is an important pathogen responsible for various hospital-acquired infections. They are isolated from various sites in the hospital or from the health care workers. These hospital strains can be resistant to various antibiotics. They are also known to cause neonatal septicemia. A sudden increase in Klebsiella isolates from NICU prompted this study. Retrospective and prospective data were analyzed from the months of September 2013 to March 2014 i.e., before and after the outbreak. During that period a total of 249 blood culture samples from NICU were collected for analysis. Culture and sensitivity was performed for the isolates. Samples were also collected from the environment, water and health care personnel to identify the source.Out of the 249 blood samples 35 (14%) yielded bacterial growth on primary & secondary sub culture. The remaining 100 (86%) yielded no growth. Klebsiella species accounted for 29% , Coagulase Negative Staphylococci (CONS) for 37% , Enterococci 11 %, along with these various other bacteria were also isolated. Many of the Klebsiella strains were ESBL producers, and a clustering of cases was seen in the months of December 2013 and January 2014. Klebsiella was also isolated from the water sample used for humidification. The present study emphasizes the importance of good infection control practices and rationale use of antibiotics especially in high risk settings like the NICU.

Keywords : Late onset neonatal septicemia, hospital acquired infection, Klebsiella spp., ESBL producers.